Whitby Harbour, North Yorkshire Coast
Whitby Abbey has got to be the pinnacle of tourist attractions in the town, but probably coming a close second at the twin harbour piers which were first mentioned in 1545 when they were at that time timber construction. In 1632 they were rebuilt using stone but still having a framework of timber and It is thought that the first pier was on the west side, with the east pier being built much later. The West harbour pier was completely rebuilt and finished in 1814 and is the one which is still there today and a little later in 1831 a lighthouse was constructed. The East side pier was built later in 1854. The piers obviously offer the usual protection from the sea and were of great use when the town was still prominently fishing town with all the boats were moored inside the harbour, safe from the battering of the sea.
Image dimensions: 3720 x 2252 pixels